Skip to main content

Notifications

Building Copilot Studio Chatbots in Microsoft T...
Answered

Microsoft Copilot Studio pricing

Posted on by 46

Hi

We plan to build a copilot by using Microsoft Copilot Studio and then deploy it to Microsoft Teams. What are all costs required? Our organization now have Microsoft 365 license. 

My understanding is the pricing include

1. Tennent license

2. Per user license (for copilot creation and management in Copilot Studio)

3. Per message volume: $200.00 for 25,000 messages/month. 

Regarding the price for Per message volume, how Microsoft count as 1 message, is there any message length limit? 

Categories:
  • phildah Profile Picture
    phildah 2 on at
    Re: Microsoft Copilot Studio pricing

i have a bot that communicates with the assistant api via http and only outputs the response as a message. there is a welcome message, otherwise only the http request.
    in the Power Platform admin center in the Resources > Capacity > Summary tab

it shows 0/25,000 messages.

We have already tested the chatbot in the last 7 days (also published, not only directly in copilot studio), so messages should be there.

Does this mean that these messages do not count?

• abraham_audu Profile Picture
    abraham_audu 4 on at

Can I use the copilot studio for Teams chatbot for free forever if I only make http calls and have the response as the reply message?

• inzil2k Profile Picture
    inzil2k 119 on at

I have a question regarding migration of existing bots that run under the old licensing model. When the time comes to switch to the new licensing model, will we need to re-create the bots in new environments that run under the new licensing model or will it be done automatically?

• ajhyman Profile Picture
    ajhyman 2 on at

Thanks for the info. One problem we are having is the unit of measure. Most of the documentation I've seen, and your answer, talks about billing units as "messages" but that's not what we are seeing in the CS interface. We are seeing the units as "Sessions" which aren't 1 or 1+1 as with messages. Dropping a screenshot from the interface ...

ajhyman_0-1710340048157.png

• ji225 Profile Picture
    ji225 2 on at

Hi Henry, I work in higher education and we are planning to implement a chatbot (copilot) for our public facing website.

Please check the following to see if my summary of the costs involved is accurate and to answer the question at the end:

If we decide to create it using Microsoft Copilot Studio, we would need to pay at least $200/month for 1 Copilot Studio add-on (25,000 messages/month). With that, we can get as many user licenses to use Copilot Studio as we need for free, but we still need to go through the formality of getting those user licenses. The $200/month cost is really to run the copilots created by that Copilot Studio.

The Copilot Studio that comes with the $30/month/user cost for Copilot for Microsoft 365 (in addition to Microsoft E3 or E5 licenses) is too limited for creating a chatbot (copilot) for our public facing website.

The $200/month cost is the total cost (before tax), unless we plan to
    - exceed 25,000 messages/month, in which case we need to purchase one or more additional add-ons at $200/month each to get another 25,000 messages/month, or
    - use an extraordinary amount of other services like Power Platform in the chatbot.

If our business is limited to one region (North America), then we don't need to worry about how many tenants we have. We would have just 1 tenant.

So what happens if any of the allocated limits (like the 25,000 messages/month limit or the Power Platform capacity limits) is exceeded by actual usage? Would the services affected by the limit just stop working or would a bill for the excess usage be sent to us?

• HenryJammes Profile Picture
    HenryJammes on at

@inzil2k wrote:

Hi @HenryJammes ,
    We already use Copilot studio in production and are billed according to the old sessions model. Do you know if there is a quick way to check bot messages sent in a month in the tenant, so we know how many add-ons we will need once we need to switch to the new billing model?

This should be possible as part of this feature: Manage Microsoft Copilot Studio messages and capacity - Microsoft Copilot Studio | Microsoft Learn

• inzil2k Profile Picture
    inzil2k 119 on at

Hi @HenryJammes ,
    We already use Copilot studio in production and are billed according to the old sessions model. Do you know if there is a quick way to check bot messages sent in a month in the tenant, so we know how many add-ons we will need once we need to switch to the new billing model?

• abon3625 Profile Picture
    abon3625 11 on at

Thanks @HenryJammes!

• HenryJammes Profile Picture
    HenryJammes on at

Hi @abon3625,

The pricing page for the 25,000 add-on capacity is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-copilot/microsoft-copilot-studio#Pricing. 100,000 messages / month = 4 add-ons indeed.

The bot can send multiple messages and still count as one in your example (i.e. one turn).

If native generative AI capabilities aren't used, there is no multiplying factor.

Calling cloud flows doesn't have an impact on the number of messages that are consumed since Power Automate use right in the context of Copilot Studio are already included (use of premium connectors, and a 250,000 Power Platform requests / 24h entitlement, as documented here: Quotas, limits, app registration, certificates, and configuration values - Microsoft Copilot Studio | Microsoft Learn)

• abon3625 Profile Picture
    abon3625 11 on at

Hi, Henry. I'm in a similar situation to OP. I understand the new pricing structure is $200 tenant/month, with user licenses assigned as needed, giving us 25K messages. I have two questions:

1. Can you point to documentation outlining the add-ons? I haven't found anything laying this out clearly. Is each add-on $200 and gives you 25K messages? ie 100K messages = $800?

2. Docs say a 'message' is a request invoking a response or action by the bot; if the bot sends a group of 5 separate messages to the user, for example in the greeting, does that count as 1 message? And if it called a flow that would still be the 1 message?

Any help understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Exciting News for Copilot Studio Communi…

Get ready to experience a whole new level of engagement with the Copilot Studio…

Celebrating the May Super User of the…

LaurensM is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community…

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…

Leaderboard

renatoromao Profile Picture

renatoromao 6,459

Pstork1 Profile Picture

Pstork1 1,954

Expiscornovus Profile Picture

Expiscornovus 1,637

Featured topics