cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerAI

Applications for Power Automate in Education

In preparing for the start of a new school year, I sought to improve the workflow efficiency of our current behavior management system. As a science teacher, I was not confident in the use of Power Automate in the beginning, but I later found it to be intuitive to use and very helpful.

The requirements were that when a student breached the acceptable behavior standards, the following process had to be followed:

1. Teachers at the scene are to deal with the situation immediately.
  2. The relevant year level coordinator had to be notified with a summary of the context and the nature of offending behavior via email. Other teachers of the student should also have access to this information for future reference.
  3. The year level coordinator will then contact the student's parents via email and offer an opportunity to discuss the situation by phone. 
  4. Finally, the student will receive detention at the time and location specified by the year level coordinator. 

As these detailed steps are frequently required (usually on a daily basis), it presents a significant challenge to teachers who are already experiencing raising workload concerns and often need to continue teaching amidst the other administrative duties. This is where Power Automate has helped to eliminate a number of repetitive steps by automating the process and address the problem in an efficient way. 

Below are the challenges with each step in the original process used by the school and how my flow addresses each of those challenges.

1. As mentioned earlier, teachers are often in the middle of teaching or some other duty when the situation occurs. It is difficult to find out all the details of the student and who their respective year level coordinator/ other teachers are. This is especially the case for replacement or cover teachers.
    By integrating MS Forms responses into Power Automate, I was able to minimize the effort required from teachers down to only selecting the student's name and class, and then writing a summary of the context. The background processing in Power Automate reduces the number of steps teachers have to do by finding out the student's other teachers automatically, and then sending an email out to only the relevant people when a form is received.
  2. As the year level coordinator gets notified of this event, another draft email is written up within Power Automate, ready to be sent from the year level coordinator's account and addressed to the parents. This is achieved by connecting Power Automate to an excel contact list database via OneDrive for Business. The background processing is helpful in this case because it automatically searches for the parent's contact details and writes the emails, which would have otherwise been another time-consuming process.
  3. To ensure that the email content is appropriate and as an additional safety measure, there is an extra approval process step before the email is sent to parents. Year level coordinators can view and approve the messages on Teams with the click of a button, and the email will be sent to the respective parents from their account. Traditionally if the coordinator was on leave or absent on the day, these emails would be delayed until they returned. However, with my flow being connected to all coordinators, other coordinators could step in and approve the messages on their behalf if required, making for a more streamlined and timely process.
  4. In this example the students all have a fixed timetable, so there is little choice in the times available for detention. However, it is possible to incorporate this system into a more complex setting where automatic scheduling could be involved if students have more flexibility in their timetables. 

This is just one example of how Power Automate could be used in a school setting, where these technologies are desperately needed and yet severely underutilized. Please let me know if you have any other great examples like this in a similar setting, or if you have any questions about how I can help with the above.

Comments
About the Author
  • Experienced Consultant with a demonstrated history of working in the information technology and services industry. Skilled in Office 365, Azure, SharePoint Online, PowerShell, Nintex, K2, SharePoint Designer workflow automation, PowerApps, Microsoft Flow, PowerShell, Active Directory, Operating Systems, Networking, and JavaScript. Strong consulting professional with a Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) focused in Information Technology from Mumbai University.
  • I am a Microsoft Business Applications MVP and a Senior Manager at EY. I am a technology enthusiast and problem solver. I work/speak/blog/Vlog on Microsoft technology, including Office 365, Power Apps, Power Automate, SharePoint, and Teams Etc. I am helping global clients on Power Platform adoption and empowering them with Power Platform possibilities, capabilities, and easiness. I am a leader of the Houston Power Platform User Group and Power Automate community superuser. I love traveling , exploring new places, and meeting people from different cultures.
  • Read more about me and my achievements at: https://ganeshsanapblogs.wordpress.com/about MCT | SharePoint, Microsoft 365 and Power Platform Consultant | Contributor on SharePoint StackExchange, MSFT Techcommunity
  • Encodian Owner / Founder - Ex Microsoft Consulting Services - Architect / Developer - 20 years in SharePoint - PowerPlatform Fan
  • Founder of SKILLFUL SARDINE, a company focused on productivity and the Power Platform. You can find me on LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/manueltgomes and twitter http://twitter.com/manueltgomes. I also write at https://www.manueltgomes.com, so if you want some Power Automate, SharePoint or Power Apps content I'm your guy 🙂
  • I am the Owner/Principal Architect at Don't Pa..Panic Consulting. I've been working in the information technology industry for over 30 years, and have played key roles in several enterprise SharePoint architectural design review, Intranet deployment, application development, and migration projects. I've been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) 15 consecutive years and am also a Microsoft Certified SharePoint Masters (MCSM) since 2013.
  • Big fan of Power Platform technologies and implemented many solutions.
  • Passionate #Programmer #SharePoint #SPFx #M365 #Power Platform| Microsoft MVP | SharePoint StackOverflow, Github, PnP contributor
  • Web site – https://kamdaryash.wordpress.com Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM149rFkLNgerSvgDVeYTZQ/