cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoriMidori
Frequent Visitor

Send e-mail to multiple people based on choice column in share point list

Hello,

I'm currently to build the flow to send automatic e-mail to multiple persons based on my share point Choice column.

My situation:

Situation explanation.png

When the new item is create in the Main Share Point list,

1.Power automated can catch the item Plant A (Plant A is Choice Column).
2. Multiple Persons (ex. all persons in Group1 to 3 in A share point list + all persons in Group in B share point list ) can receive the e-mail 

*A share point list and B share point list can refer the attachments.

I refer this link to seek for solution but I have 40 choices to select.

It seems it is not best to do condition for all choices.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Sending-emails-based-on-sharepoint-list-choice/td...

Another question is I have A, B  share point list and one e-mail should be sent to persons on A, B share point list.

Will it have any better solution to resolve it by Power Automated?

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi , @MoriMidori 

Thanks for your quick response! First you need to check if your column name is right in your code :

vyueyunmsft_0-1701853045260.png

Due to if it has no error , it will return []. So in the logic , the flow will not get the error code .

So this may happen when your columnName is not exist in your side .

You can check it in your run history!

Also we can use the code to avoid it , like this.

First create a variable:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701853093004.png

Then we can use this code :
union(coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group1'] , variables('Blank'))
,coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group2'] , variables('Blank'))
,coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group3'] , variables('Blank')),body('Select_2'))

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-yueyun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @MoriMidori 

According to your description, do you mean you want to get all the Person's Emails based on your two SharePoint List when an item created in SharePoint List A?  And According to your screenshot , your sharePoint List B Group Column seems a single Person Choice Column.

I test it in  my side , this is my test SharePoint List:

vyueyunmsft_0-1701767272794.png

And this is my flow:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701767286804.png

(1)The trigger is when an item created in SharePoint List A:

vyueyunmsft_2-1701767317831.png

(2)GetItems is get the items in SharePoint List B:

vyueyunmsft_3-1701767351027.png

(3)The other actions:

vyueyunmsft_4-1701767455633.png

union(triggerOutputs()?['body']?['Group1'],triggerOutputs()?['body']?['Group2'],triggerOutputs()?['body']?['Group3'],body('Select_2'))
item()?['Email']
join(body('Select'),';')

The result is as follows:
vyueyunmsft_5-1701767539033.png

If I misunderstand what you mean, you can describe your needs and your expected outcomes in detail so that we can better help you.

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hello @v-yueyun-msft ,

Thank for your quick reply.
I found I don't explain the following things.

1.Share Point list  that item is created (Main share point list) is different from share point A and B.  

2.The plant column in Main SP list is as same as A SP list in order to get persons in all groups in A SP list.

3.The person column in B share point list is single person column.

Many thank,

Midori Mori   

Hi , @MoriMidori 

Thanks for your quick response!

The plant column in Main SP list  is a Lookup column or just a Text column in your side ?

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hi , @MoriMidori 

【1】If your MainSharePoint list is a Text column like this:

vyueyunmsft_0-1701769615870.png

This is my flow:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701769687819.png

vyueyunmsft_2-1701769771136.png

union(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group1'],outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group2'],outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group3'],body('Select_2'))

【2】If your MainSharePoint list is a Lookup column like this:
vyueyunmsft_3-1701769934056.png

You can just update this action:

vyueyunmsft_4-1701770259119.png
triggerOutputs()?['body']?['Plant']?['Value']

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

eliotcole
Super User
Super User

Just quickly ... could you please embed your pictures directly into your initial post there? I can't seem to load them.

---

Moving onward ... I have a suggestion that may help you build, here. It won't necessarily be a solution, @MoriMidori, but it might help simplify your logic.

Make A Helper List

Make a helper list and use that as a Lookup column in your main list (allowing multiple choices if need be), then choose the people column in that helper list as an additional column to include from the chosen list.

Once you have this helper list, then it will present all of the appropriate email addresses to your flow.

Helper List - 'plants'

Make the list and name it "plants" initially, nothing else, no symbols or spaces.

Once you've named it, you can rename the list whatever you like, but this makes the list URL easy.

Configure The plants List

Now in the plants list:

1. Edit the Title column to be:
    • required
    • unique
  2. Add a People column named "Group1" (no space!) and ensure:
    • it allows groups
    • multiple selections
  3. Add a People column named "Group2" (no space!) and ensure:
    • it allows groups
    • multiple selections
  4. Add a People column named "Group3" (no space!) and ensure:
    • it allows groups
    • multiple selections

After you have made the new columns (Group1, etc) you can go back and rename them with spaces and more. Naming them how we have makes them easier to query in Power Automate and elsewhere.

Add Data To The plants List

In the plants list you can now:

1. Add all of choices as that you have in your parent list as Titles
    (in your example they are A, B, C, D, E)
  2. In the People columns ensure that every person (and/or group) that you wish to be associated with that choice is in there

If you have external email addresses needed, you may need to add them as 'guests' to your Entra/AAD system for external email addresses.

Main List (your current list)

There are a couple of changes to make to your existing main list that you raised this thread about.

Configure Main List

In configuring your main list you will need to replace your current 'Plant' column:

1. Remove the current 'Plant' Choice column
  2. Add a Lookup column called 'Plant'
    1. Select a list as a source - Select the new helper list 'plants'
      (or whatever you renamed it to)
    2. Select a column from the list above - Select 'Title'
    3. More options - Tap 'More options' and and leave all options as default other than the following
      1. Add additional columns from source list - Select:
        • 'Group1'
        • 'Group2'
        • 'Group3'

(you can choose whether or not to allow multiple suggestions here)

Now when people make a choice from the Plant column the groups will be populated with the contacts that you wish to be there.

This means that when your flow is triggered these values should be included and if not will be easily retrieved from the Plants list.

Further Suggestion

I have placed this information in the below spoiler so as not to distract from the above.

Spoiler

Alternatively, as a left-field suggestion, make groups for each set of users / addresses that you wish to send to.

Helper People Column Change

When you make the people column in your helper list you can now create it without the ability to accept multiple entries.

This change is key as it makes it a single entry rather than an array in flow, ensuring ease of use there.

Make The Groups

Now, create a group for each choice in the helper list, naming them appropriately.

Now you can:

• Add users / guests to the appropriate groups
  • Add the group as the single People entry in the helper list column

Groups Advice

Theoretically, it works best to make Microsoft 365 groups for each of these, as they have an email address, and in the future you can use sharing facilities within those groups.

However, you can also create security groups and distribution groups, too. Security groups can be made in the Entra admin portal, and distribution groups may need to be made by an Exchange admin. But you might have the ability to make them.

Potentially Bad Advice

You could swap your choice column for a people column and not use a helper list and just rely on created groups to populate the choices there. However it would get complex as there's no easy way to limit the choices available, and there is a lot more to it. I would advise against this.

@eliotcole 

Thanks for your reply.

I attach the image of my current situation for my question.

When the new item is create in the Main Share Point list,

1.Power automated can catch the item Plant A (Plant A is Choice Column).
2. Multiple Persons (ex. all persons in Group1 to 3 in A share point list + all persons in Group in B share point list ) can receive the e-mail 

For your reference, I don't have authorization for the A SP list and B SP list because it is in the different Share Point Site. I just have  authorization for Main SP list.
Not sure if lack of authorization and different SPS will impact  Lookup column.

BR,
Midori Mori

@v-yueyun-msft 

Thanks for your reply. 
The plant column is Choice column not text column.

It seems that use Lookup or text column will be better. I will try it.

Another will different SPS will impact look up function? because I cannot see A SP list and B SP list in my main list when I use look up function.
Main List (my work SPS)

A SP List (company SPS)

B SP List  (group SPS)
are in the different Share Point Sites...

The following is the picture what I want to build.

Every time when new item is created in Main SP list, Plant column (Choice column) decide who will receive the e-mail.

eg.

When item is created in Main List and Plant column is A,

the plant column A and its all groups in A SP list will receive the e-mail.

the all people in B SP list also will receive the e-mail.

Attach the pictures for your reference.

Hi, @MoriMidori 

Thanks for your response! If your column is a choice column like this:

vyueyunmsft_0-1701831412599.png

You can just modify this in the Get Items 2:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701831447174.png

triggerOutputs()?['body']?['PlantChoices']?['Value']

You need to use your real column name in your side .

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hello @v-yueyun-msft

I tried your method. but there is no "Email" shows.

If I get lost in some steps?
no e-mail show 2.png 
BR,

Midori Mori

Hi , @MoriMidori 

Thanks for your quick response! Do not worry about it had no field to choose , you just need to use the Expression here. 
First click here:

vyueyunmsft_0-1701842122690.png

And then enter :

item()?['Email']

vyueyunmsft_2-1701842203724.png

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hello @v-yueyun-msft 

The message shows that I need to enter a valid json.

vaild jason.png

I'm thinking that if I don't get the accurate e-mails in the Compose step.

Since I don't have authorization of A SP list, I cannot confirm the name of Group1 is really Group1. 

Hi , @MoriMidori 

First , you need to put this code in the "Expression":

vyueyunmsft_0-1701847680420.png

Ah...you can see the run history output for the "Get Items 2" to see the ColumnName in the ShrePoint ListA:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701847733325.png

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hello @v-yueyun-msft 

thanks for your detailed explanation.
I can put the code in Expression and found I can get the e-mail.

However, the error message is displayed when the Compose step.

MoriMidori_0-1701850625244.png

BR,

Midori, Mori

Hi , @MoriMidori 

The compose code is :

vyueyunmsft_0-1701850904642.png

The error code means one of the array here is null. You need to check if one of this return is a null array?

outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group1']

You can try to add a "Compose" action to check its return in your side .

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

Hello @v-yueyun-msft 

Yes, I found there are null in the Group2. But I cannot add persons in the group.

The list is like as below

MoriMidori_0-1701852075398.png

BR,

Midori Mori

Hi , @MoriMidori 

Thanks for your quick response! First you need to check if your column name is right in your code :

vyueyunmsft_0-1701853045260.png

Due to if it has no error , it will return []. So in the logic , the flow will not get the error code .

So this may happen when your columnName is not exist in your side .

You can check it in your run history!

Also we can use the code to avoid it , like this.

First create a variable:

vyueyunmsft_1-1701853093004.png

Then we can use this code :
union(coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group1'] , variables('Blank'))
,coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group2'] , variables('Blank'))
,coalesce(outputs('Get_items_2')?['body/value']?[0]?['Group3'] , variables('Blank')),body('Select_2'))

Best Regards,

Yueyun Zhang

eliotcole
Super User
Super User

Hi, @MoriMidori ... I think that by putting the complexity in to the flow you are potentially giving yourself more problems to solve rather than less.

That was why I suggested that you simplify your data by making the second helper list:

1. Make a second 'helper' list (maybe call it 'Plants')
  2. Delete your 'Plant' choice column
  3. Add a 'Plant' lookup column which provides people from the helper list columns

I'll edit my answer above to resemble your setup a little more closely. However I wish you well with @v-yueyun-msft if you get things sorted there. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,558)