cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bug: Grey Screen of Death

Last week when I saved over an existing app in the cloud, there was a 3 minute delay when clicking the app in a browser before it would be open. It shows what I term the "Grey Screen of Death" while I wait. It is colored by the programed color if I open the app from Dynamics 365. That delay gradually increased to 5 minutes this week. It was alright as long as the app eventually opened. No big deal. I can wait a few minutes for the app to be ready.

However, today, my app was stuck at the grey screen of death after some small changes I saved last night. To be clear, on my computer that I use to edit the app, the app opens in regular Chrome Browser. But when I open the app in incognito mode to simulate a public computer, it will not open. I tested in a limited user account and my main account. Neither worked in incognito and neither worked on the Chromebook.

Today few of the students in class were able to open the app on their Chromebooks. I tried clearing browsing data, but I was still stuck at the grey screen. I do not see any loading progress that would suggest that the app were loading in the background. If there is a pattern to who was able to open the app, it would be that the students who use the apps more seemed to be the ones who were able to still access the app.

Besides clearing the browsing data and restarting the computer, what can I try to get the app working again?

app-id: 77f47c8d-b8e3-a457-432c-ae5d33933b0f

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I ran some more tests to find out what is causing the apps not to open in the webplayer.

I have 3 versions of my app:

• main: this is a known stable version, the one that my users primarily use
  • beta: this is like the "slow ring" for Insiders
  • alpha: I save on this file just to test things out, whether it works or not is not as much a concern. This is like my "fast ring"

The last time I saved was onto my main app. It included some new features and everything worked--I waited the 10 minutes for the app to be deployed. Students were able to use the app the next day after the Wednesday bug. No problem. I also saved the same copy onto my alpha version.

Today I made some new changes and saved again onto the alpha version. My changes did not work--I waited the 10 minutes to deploy but I got the white screen. So I opened up the old version and saved it again on top of the alpha version. It still gave me the white screen after 10 minutes. If the original file saved and was able to open in alpha, then it should be able to save and open again. Unfortunately, it did not work. That makes no sense to me.

So I tried another test by rolling the alpha version back to a working version--I still get the white screen. No luck. 

I have the msapp files if you would like to test it out. 

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Update:

• This is not limited to one app as I originally thought. 
  • Everything works fine on a regular Windows 10 computer, regular Chrome browser. Even Windows Phone browser works. 
  • On desktop Edge browser, a Chromebook regular browser, or a Chrome incognito window, the app does not load and is stuck on the grey screen of death.

Summary

• All apps consistently work on regular Chrome browser, any user
  • All apps consistently do not work on other devices/browsers, any user

Is there a setting I need to clear to make PowerApps work again?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Update 2:

• Apps in other environments are also not opening on non-Chrome browser. 
  • Switching from one WiFi network did not change outcome. Apps still open in a regular Chrome browser and Studio, but nothing else.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Thomas_F
Helper III
Helper III

I am also getting the Grey screen with Dynamic 365 on IE 11 (error also occuring in private browsing mode). This error really needs to be fixed if using my app amongst colleagues is going to be a viable option.

T Forster

It seems we had a bug with our deployments yesterday which we were able to identify and fix. Can you please try again and let us know if continue to see issues.

Sorry about the downtime you faced.

Regards

Confirmed that the fix on Friday worked, but it seems a new bug that might be related has come up:

I saved onto my old app, but now it will not open. I get an error like "The app did not open correctly" on a white screen.

Error logged in the screenshot below:2017-01-07 (2).png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Session ID:bfca046a-287d-d253-ab42-22fe3b82c468

2017-01-07 (3).png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

I was able to locate a saved version of my app that was able to be opened in the webplayer. I made one change at a time, saved it to the cloud, and attempted to open it.

Problems:

• It takes a very consistent 10 minutes (about 10:20) before the app communicates or fails to communicate. This means that if I wanted to experiment to find out exactly what was causing my app not to open in the webplayer, I would need to wait 10 minutes each time I did this. This was previously a consistent 5 and 3 minutes as described in my earlier post.
  • The only app that takes 10 minutes to see if it can open is my heavy app. (400+KB) The others work fine. This is leading me to wonder if there is a limit to the size/complexity of the apps.
  • What I have found so far in experimenting is that there is no pattern to what changes can be saved that still work in the webplayer. For instance, I have narrowed down what caused the app not to open: a toggle was added with some Patching, a condition was added for a button to be visible/invisible, a Gallery was sorted. There was no circular reference. The changes were routine things.
  • I have been very patient to wait 10 minutes each time I made a change to pinpoint the problem, but I think there is a bottleneck or something on the back-end since the timing is so consistent. When I look at the trace log, each action takes 1000+ms when I have to wait the 10 minutes. Compare that to when an app does not require waiting in which case actions take 155ms or less. I have msapp files that I can share that are able to open and others that are not able to open in the webplayer.
Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

The good news is that adding a Flow is NOT the cause of my problems. I originally was afraid that it was the addition of a Flow that corrupted my file; this was the case in older versions of PowerApps. It's a relief that I have been able to operate my first Flow in my apps.

The bad news is that I am still not able to pinpoint why some versions of my app cannot be opened in the webplayer. I am able to add the Flow, but I cannot add a simple formula to go with it to reset my TextInput fields after it runs.

TextInput.Reset: resetfeedback

Button.OnSelect: 
UpdateContext({resetfeedback: !resetfeedback});
UpdateContext({resetfeedback: !resetfeedback})

It's very odd. I have similar resets written everywhere. I have settled with sticking to whatever version is working right now for my users.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

I have vertified the 10+ minute duration is happening during the packaging of the app. I will forward the information to the team handling packaging for further investigation.

Thanks,

Ryan

Helpful resources

Announcements

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!     Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!     Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!     UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!     European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!   Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!   For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.    

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip: Community User Groups

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: Community User Groups and YOU Being part of, starting, or leading a User Group can have many great benefits for our community members who want to learn, share, and connect with others who are interested in the Microsoft Power Platform and the low-code revolution.   When you are part of a User Group, you discover amazing connections, learn incredible things, and build your skills. Some User Groups work in the virtual space, but many meet in physical locations, meaning you have several options when it comes to building community with people who are learning and growing together!   Some of the benefits of our Community User Groups are: Network with like-minded peers and product experts, and get in front of potential employers and clients.Learn from industry experts and influencers and make your own solutions more successful.Access exclusive community space, resources, tools, and support from Microsoft.Collaborate on projects, share best practices, and empower each other. These are just a few of the reasons why our community members love their User Groups. Don't wait. Get involved with (or maybe even start) a User Group today--just follow the tips below to get started.For current or new User Group leaders, all the information you need is here: User Group Leader Get Started GuideOnce you've kicked off your User Group, find the resources you need:  Community User Group ExperienceHave questions about our Community User Groups? Let us know! We are here to help you!

Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih

We're thrilled to announce that Ahmed Salih is our Super User of the Month for April 2024. Ahmed has been one of our most active Super Users this year--in fact, he kicked off the year in our Community with this great video reminder of why being a Super User has been so important to him!   Ahmed is the Senior Power Platform Architect at Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's been a Super User for two seasons and is also a Microsoft MVP! He's celebrating his 3rd year being active in the Community--and he's received more than 500 kudos while authoring nearly 300 solutions. Ahmed's contributions to the Super User in Training program has been invaluable, with his most recent session with SUIT highlighting an incredible amount of best practices and tips that have helped him achieve his success.   Ahmed's infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy are a key reason why so many Community members appreciate how he brings his personality--and expertise--to every interaction. With all the solutions he provides, his willingness to help the Community learn more about Power Platform, and his sheer joy in life, we are pleased to celebrate Ahmed and all his contributions! You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Congratulations, Ahmed--thank you for being a SUPER user!  

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,688)