cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daxjkent
Advocate III
Advocate III

Run a Child Flow Action now has required Fields. Date, Full Address, Country, City, State, Street, Postal, Latitude, Longitude

Simplified example.   New Cloud flow with Manual Trigger and no inputs.

daxjkent_0-1648151153587.png

2nd Manually triggered flow that calls the first Flow in a "Run a Child Flow" action.

daxjkent_1-1648151196554.png

9 required inputs that were not referenced in the original a trigger.  When did this requirement start for Child Flows and is it going to wreak havoc with all of our existing Child flows.

18 REPLIES 18
manuelstgomes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @daxjkent 

That doesn't make sense indeed. I smell a bug or something that went wrong in a deployment from Microsoft's site.

I tried to replicate the issue on two tenants, and all is ok, so it's probably something that we need to wait for Microsoft to solve. I know it sucks, but the alternative is to contact the support and check if they can help.

Cheers
Manuel

------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution." It will help other members find the solution faster. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ?
Otherwise, reply to it, and the community will do its best to help you.

DKassian
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I am getting this same behavior in multiple environments, along with a bunch of other flow bugs (actions not loading, formula editor not loading, error accessing local storage notification). 

I suspect once again Microsoft has pushed updates without understanding the implications or properly testing. I have not seen any impact to existing child flows, it is only impacting new flows - hopefully it stays that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for raising this. I thought it was only me that encounter this issue. 

In my flow, the location parameters are not required but an error still pops up saying that they are required. 

keithmcclungeip
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue. I've found that by using the trigger "PowerApps V2" instead of "Manually trigger a flow" you can run the flow as a child without all the other fields being required. May not help you if you specifically need it to be manually triggered however.

daxjkent
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is some super heavy modification in some flows when the variable from the trigger is used thru the entire flow.  

Ideally Power Automate could just get their quality control working better and not inflict these random issues that cause massive mayhem and disruption in production environments.

daxjkent
Advocate III
Advocate III

I've had to resort to this in a pile of flows just to get them running again.

daxjkent_0-1648835821087.png

joelzehring
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

We're also experiencing failed flows related to this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft support just came back to me and the solution they proposed is working now. What they proposed is that you have to remove the trigger of the childflow and add it back again. 

Yes, I agree it's tedious because I am doing the same thing as well. 

Please mark this as a solution if it works for you as well. Thanks! 

daxjkent
Advocate III
Advocate III

Yes we were informed of this "solution" as well, but we will not be doing this due to the size of some of the flows infected. 

Please keep in mind, in order to remove a trigger action, you must remove all references to that trigger action thru the entire flow.  In larger flows this is essentially a complete dismantle and rebuild of what was previously a properly working flow.  The old adage of "if it aint' broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.  It was never the child flow that was the issue, it was the parent flow calling it.  The fix needs to happen at the parent level in order for it to be considered resolved in my eyes.

daxjkent
Advocate III
Advocate III

I did just test this proposed fix on a smaller child flow, what is failed to be mentioned is that this proposal also requires you to modify ALL of the parent flows referencing the child flow as well since the "Run a child Flow" action is now passing variables to a child flow that are no longer being requested when you replace the trigger action in the child flow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I understand the situation and I was frustrated to know that this is the solution proposed by them.

I definitely agree with you because my child flow is very large as well. I have to be very careful to add the dynamic content back to my flow again. Luckily my parent flow does not required any input from the child flow, which saves me the trouble and time to add the dynamic content to each of my parent flow. 

Also, I am not sure what kind of help can they provide besides asking for more screenshots of my flow and try this tedious step. If anyone comes up with anything, please share. 

FinderFees
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sorry to revive an older post, but since this thread is one of the first results when doing a Google search on this issue, I just wanted to add a bit here that could be helpful for some or at the very least potentially provide some information/context that I discovered. (Really just trying to justify the amount of time I've spent on this...)

I also wanted to note that we recently saw this after enabling "Experimental Features" in this environment (luckily it's just dev). So there is a potential that this is the result of one of those features, and is ultimately self-inflicted pain. If that's the case, then there is the potential for it to be re-introduced upon the official feature release. Or it's entirely unrelated and we just got unlucky. 😉

As other posts have said, this is not so much an issue with the "Run a Child Flow" action as it seems to be with that child flow's "Manually trigger a flow" trigger.

Using the "Peek Code" option on the trigger, I was able to see that indeed certain fields, such as 'key-button-date' and 'location' were being required in the JSON.

FinderFees_0-1668727858419.png

The proper working functionality is that if you reference the trigger's various "extra" options such as "Date", "Full address", "Latitude", etc (available by default in the "Dynamic content" popup) within a flow action, these properties get automatically added to the trigger and are required. You can't see them IN the trigger without peeking the code, but they are there.

Now the reason I'm sure we are all here, is that we didn't in fact reference these items within the flow. So the question then becomes how did they get there and why can't they be removed?

From my testing, the best initial description of the issue I can come up with is that those properties have somehow become disassociated with whatever process is used to add and remove them dynamically from the trigger.

Interestingly enough, I was able to go in and create a new "Compose" action where I intentionally added a reference to the trigger's date (aka 'key-button-date'), saved, and then removed the reference. When I peeked the code of the trigger again, the 'key-button-date' property also was removed! I was excited and thought I had stumbled upon a true fix that user's could implement, until I subsequently tested with various location-based fields and had no such success. I tried many combinations of trying to remove whole large objects such as the generic 'address' to small independent fields, such as 'Postal code', and could not get the "fix" to happen again. 😞

I also went into another environment, created a new flow, added all the fields to a Compose action (and thus the trigger) and reviewed the JSON and could not find anything obvious like a property or order change. They also all removed just fine as expected. So I'm really not sure why Power Automate refuses to clean up it's own trigger code in this one specific case.

Anyway... the "true" fix that I did is not the Microsoft recommended fix, and I can't really say if it's more or less risky or annoying than deleting and re-adding a trigger, but for me it made more sense.

I am using Solutions in my environment and I "simply" (relative to your personal experience lol) exported the unmanaged Solution and updated the flow's JSON to remove the offending schema. If you are going to attempt this, you'll need a text editor like notepad++ and for sure a test environment to ensure everything comes back in properly.

Also I would recommend keeping a copy of your unaltered exported solution somewhere, just in case something doesn't seem to be working correctly afterword.

Unzip the exported .zip file, go into the Workflows folder and open the flow JSON in your editor of choice.

The first step - if you aren't 100% sure that you absolutely were not referencing this item in an action - is to do a "Find" for one of the offending items. For instance, if I was referencing the "Latitude" property in my flow, I would see the following "triggerBody()" statement in an action property:

FinderFees_2-1668728889398.png

If you find something like this. STOP. Go back into your flow in Power Automate and delete that reference first and see if it clears up your issue.

If you are like me, where the only two finds for 'location' were within the trigger itself, then you can move on to editing the JSON.

You'll be looking for the below data (displayed in VSC for readability) under the "triggers" property. (Truly, your 'location' object will likely be much longer than this, I just recreated a simple example for this screenshot).

FinderFees_1-1668728533888.png

You then want to delete everything in the yellow boxes (the entire location object), being careful to ensure you also remove the preceding commas and don't accidently remove an extra brace/bracket. Also don't forget to remove the reference to the location property in the "required" array - also highlighted above.

After doing this, you can save and close that file. Then open the "solution.xml" file and update the version to a newer one:

FinderFees_3-1668729187344.png

Then go in and re-zip your solution. Your folder structure should look like MySolution_VersionNumber.zip -> "Workflows" folder, solution.xml + other files. Don't zip at the top level and include an additional parent folder or it won't import properly.

Once that's all done, go ahead and attempt to re-import your solution. If successful, when you edit your flow and peek the trigger code, you'll see the offending required items are gone. Additionally, when you go into your "Parent" flow and view the "Run a Child Flow" action, the extra fields will be gone and will allow you to save without unwanted "required" fields.

Hope this helps someone. 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing this information! It fixed the issue perfectly. I combined the knowledge of where/how to remove with the Postman update hack (from here) to update the flow without exporting/modifying/importing. Awesome!

Yrisson55

Hello Team, I have another workaround that may be simpler and I hope it can help someone.

Just delete the trigger and create it again with the same input fields. Then run a new parent flow test (do not resubmit a previous test, because this makes the issue again).

Please let me know if you have any questions!.

autopower
Helper I
Helper I

I just got hit by the very same bug now. I guess I will just need to recreate the trigger then.

anthonys123
Helper V
Helper V

I was about to create a new post about this exact same issue I've encountered. I ran the child flow as a test and the main flow added these required fields. I do not have experimental features enabled in this environment.   

So, what was working just fine is now going to take me how long to fix on my own? There seems to be a few different options to resolve this issue so I'll need to take the rest of my day to see which one works without breaking everything. Just another day behind schedule.... Thanks Microsoft!

LenC
Helper V
Helper V

For those who may come across this thread and wonder if the issue is still there....

This just happened to me as well.

I do not know if I briefly used one of those weird auto-parameters, causing the issue.

I do know I was using make.powerautomate.com with the "New" interface.  I won't be using either of those again...

Worked... Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Copilot Cookbook Challenge | Win Tickets to the Power Platform Conference

We are excited to announce the "The Copilot Cookbook Community Challenge is a great way to showcase your creativity and connect with others. Plus, you could win tickets to the Power Platform Community Conference in Las Vegas in September 2024 as an amazing bonus.   Two ways to enter: 1. Copilot Studio: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Challenge 2. Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery: https://aka.ms/PA_Copilot_Cookbook_Challenge   There will be 5 chances to qualify for the final drawing: Early Bird Entries: March 1 - June 2Week 1: June 3 - June 9Week 2: June 10 - June 16Week 3: June 17 - June 23Week 4: June 24 - June 30     At the end of each week, we will draw 5 random names from every user who has posted a qualifying Copilot Studio template, sample or demo in the Copilot Studio Cookbook or a qualifying Power Apps Copilot sample or demo in the Power Apps Copilot Cookbook. Users who are not drawn in a given week will be added to the pool for the next week. Users can qualify more than once, but no more than once per week. Four winners will be drawn at random from the total qualifying entrants. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random. Prizes:  One Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value, does not include travel, lodging, or any other expenses) Winners are also eligible to do a 10-minute presentation of their demo or solution in a community solutions showcase at the event. To qualify for the drawing, templates, samples or demos must be related to Copilot Studio or a Copilot feature of Power Apps, Power Automate, or Power Pages, and must demonstrate or solve a complete unique and useful business or technical problem. Power Automate and Power Pagers posts should be added to the Power Apps Cookbook. Final determination of qualifying entries is at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Weekly updates and the Final random winners will be posted in the News & Announcements section in the communities on July 29th, 2024. Did you submit entries early?  Early Bird Entries March 1 - June 2:  If you posted something in the "early bird" time frame complete this form: https://aka.ms/Copilot_Challenge_EarlyBirds if you would like to be entered in the challenge.

May 2024 Community Newsletter

It's time for the May Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.        COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzcreativeopinionExpiscornovusFubarAmikNived_NambiarPstork1OliverRodriguesmmbr1606ManishSolankiMattJimisonragavanrajantimlSudeepGhatakNZrenatoromaoLucas001iAm_ManCatAlexEncodianfernandosilvaOOlashynJmanriqueriosChriddle  BCBuizerExpiscornovus  a33ikBCBuizer  SebSDavid_MA  dpoggermannPstork1     LATEST NEWS   We saw a whole host of amazing announcements at this year's #MSBuild, so we thought we'd share with you a bite sized breakdown of the big news via blogs from Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab, and ✊🏾Justin Graham :   New ways of development with copilots and Microsoft Power PlatformRevolutionize the way you work with Automation and AIPower Apps is making it easier for developers to build with Microsoft Copilot and each otherCopilot in Microsoft Fabric is now generally available in Power BIUnlock new levels of productivity with Microsoft Dataverse and Microsoft Copilot StudioMicrosoft Copilot Studio: Building copilots with agent capabilitiesMicrosoft Power Pages is bringing the new standard in secure, AI-powered capabilities   If you'd like to relive some of the highlights from Microsoft Build 2024, click the image below to watch a great selection of on-demand Keynotes and sessions!         WorkLab Podcast with Charles Lamanna   Check out the latest episode of the WorkLab podcast with CVP of Business Apps and Platforms at Microsoft, Charles Lamanna, as he explains the ever-expanding evolution of Copilot, and how AI is offering new opportunities for business leaders. Grab yourself a coffee and click the image below to take a listen.       Event Recap: European Collaboration and Cloud Summits 2024   Click the image below to read a great recap by Mark Kashman about the recent European Collaboration Summit and European Cloud Summit held in Germany during May 2024. Great work everybody!       UPCOMING EVENTS European Power Platform Conference - SOLD OUT! Congrats to everyone who managed to grab a ticket for the now SOLD OUT European Power Platform Conference, which takes place in beautiful Brussels, Belgium, on 11-13th June. With a great keynote planned from Ryan Cunningham and Sangya Singh, plus expert sessions from the likes of Aaron Rendell, Amira Beldjilali, Andrew Bibby, Angeliki Patsiavou, Ben den Blanken, Cathrine Bruvold, Charles Sexton, Chloé Moreau, Chris Huntingford, Claire Edgson, Damien Bird, Emma-Claire Shaw, Gilles Pommier, Guro Faller, Henry Jammes, Hugo Bernier, Ilya Fainberg, Karen Maes, Lindsay Shelton, Mats Necker, Negar Shahbaz, Nick Doelman, Paulien Buskens, Sara Lagerquist, Tricia Sinclair, Ulrikke Akerbæk, and many more, it looks like the E in #EPPC24 stands for Epic!   Click the image below for a full run down of the exciting sessions planned, and remember, you'll need to move quickly for tickets to next year's event!       AI Community Conference - New York - Friday 21st June Check out the AI Community Conference, which takes place at the Microsoft Corporate building on Friday 21st June at 11 Times Square in New York City. Here, you'll have the opportunity to explore the latest trends and breakthroughs in AI technology alongside fellow enthusiasts and experts, with speakers on the day including Arik Kalininsky, Sherry Xu, Xinran Ma, Jared Matfess, Mihail Mateev, Andrei Khaidarov, Ruven Gotz, Nick Brattoli, Amit Vasu, and more. So, whether you're a seasoned professional or just beginning your journey into AI, click the image below to find out more about this exciting NYC event.       TechCon365 & Power Platform Conference - D.C. - August 12-16th ** EARLY BIRD TICKETS END MAY 31ST! ** Today's the perfect time to grab those early bird tickets for the D.C. TechCon365 & PWRCON Conference at the Walter E Washington Center on August 12-16th! Featuring the likes of Tamara Bredemus, Sunny Eltepu, Lindsay Shelton, Brian Alderman, Daniel Glenn, Julie Turner, Jim Novak, Laura Rogers, Microsoft MVP, John White, Jason Himmelstein, Luc Labelle, Emily Mancini, MVP, UXMC, Fabian Williams, Emma Wiehe, Amarender Peddamalku, and many more, this is the perfect event for those that want to gain invaluable insights from industry experts. Click the image below to grab your tickets today!         Power Platform Community Conference - Sept. 18-20th 2024 Check out some of the sessions already planned for the Power Platform Community Conference in Las Vegas this September. Holding all the aces we have Kristine Kolodziejski, Lisa Crosbie, Daniel Christian, Dian Taylor, Scott Durow🌈, David Yack, Michael O. and Aiden Kaskela, who will be joining the #MicrosoftCommunity for a series of high-stakes sessions! Click the image below to find out more as we go ALL-IN at #PPCC24!       For more events, click the image below to visit the Community Days website.    

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Users online (5,556)