cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilied84
Regular Visitor

DEV, TEST ja PROD are vastly different

Hello!

I have a situation where I was tasked to oversee a Power Platform application of a customer. The application was not done by me and I do not have a way to reach the individuals who made the application. The problem is, only one environment works as it should. The other two only half work and all the solution packages are wildly different in all of the environments. This makes it extremely difficult to develop any new features or troubleshoot bugs.

The environments are as follows:

DEV

Unmanaged solutions. This somewhat works. It has the latest versions of solution packages, but it hasn't been tested properly. It also contains some solutions that are not found on the other environments. No idea, if they are even needed. Propably not.

TEST

Unmanaged solutions. This works the worst. Lots of weird bugs in the application itself and the version numbers do not match those that are in the production environment. Not all of them anyways. The solutions are named horribly, so I have no idea what any of the packages contain, unless I go and browse through them. It's a nightmare.

PROD

Managed solutions. This works the best. Customers are using this and there are no major issues. Solution naming is also horrible here, but at least I know that everything is working as it should for the most part.

Since developing new features / troubleshooting is difficult, I was tasked to make the environments the same, to have a fresh start. This seems like a good idea. The problem is, how do I do this?

Here are the options I could come up with:

1. The obvious choice would be to export the solutions from the PROD environment, make them unmanaged and replace all the solutions in DEV and TEST with those. But since the solutions in PROD are managed, I can't export them. So thats a no go, unless someone finds a way to export them.

2. Create new unmanaged solutions in PROD and use Solution Components Mover to copy the solution components from the managed Solutions to unmanaged Solutions. Then backup the old solutions from DEV and TEST and replace them with the new ones. After testing, replace the Managed solutions in Prod with the new ones as well. This is very time consuming and a recipe for disaster in my mind, but still doable. I think.

What do you think? Is there a better option available?

9 REPLIES 9
joe_hannes_col
Super User
Super User

Hello @ilied84,

It sounds like your DEV and PROD environments are okay, but the TEST environment was not used for testing only but also for development.

As you probably know, the kinds of solutions in the environments should be:

- Dev --> Unmanaged

- Test --> Managed

- Prod --> Managed

The question probably is where the solution versions in the PROD environment come from:

- From the DEV environment,

- From the TEST environment, which contains customizations of unmanaged solutions from the DEV environment

- Unmanaged solutions imported from the DEV or TEST environment, but customized in unmanaged layers in the PROD environment

Based on your description, it's probably a mix of all three situations.

I would suggest the following approach:

- Create a copy of all environments in case something goes wrong 🙂

- For each solution, try to identify the origin (DEV or TEST, ideally)

- Create new DEV and TEST environments, and import the "original" unmanaged solution of each solution into the DEV environment

- Set up properly automated ALM, e.g. using the ALM Accelerator, and import each solution from DEV into TEST

Probably an imperfect approach, but the best IMO.

I think using the Solution Components Mover approach will pose some practical challenges, e.g. updating the currently installed versions of the managed solutions with newly created solutions.

Do you know if any systematic ALM approach was used before? Maybe there is some sort of repo where the unmanaged solutions are stored. Doesn't sound likely, but that would be ideal 🙂

DeviKrishna
Super User
Super User

Hi @ilied84 ,

Please find my suggestions below.

Prod - Leave the environment as is , since it is working fine.

Test - Do a full copy of P system. Please make sure to group the users with Security group and apply the right security group in test so that P users are accessing on the Prod environment.

Dev - Please look at the open requirements. If there are in progress work items and the changes in dev are matching the requirement evaluate the changes. Else , always create a unmanaged solution from Test environment restored in the above step, work fresh on the requirements and push it to test/ Prod on need basis.

This way you will not waste the time as well. Once all these are sorted out as suggested by @joe_hannes_col  please set up ALM pipelines and govern the solution movements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

My Blog: Dynamics 365 Key Topics – https://d365topicsbydk.com/

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxSIryP2ah2VpEFr-Z72t1A

Regards
Devi

ilied84
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the suggestions! I forgot to mention one thing that complicates this a bit more. Every environmet also has a Power Apps portal in use. I'm not too familiar with portals, but I think this creates a problem with copying the production environment. Unless I can somehow backup the portal separately beforehand and restore it to the test environment, after replacing it with a copy on the production environment.

joe_hannes_col
Super User
Super User

It probably depends on how old your portal is. Recently, Microsoft has improved how portals can be managed and deployed through solutions.

Do you have an unmanaged version of your portal in either Dev or Test?

All three portals are production versions. They were created on june, 2020. I can't see them inside any solutions. They are in the applications section in make.powerapps.com and I can see them in the Power Platform Admin center.

ilied84
Regular Visitor

The portals created problems, so I went with a different route. I used Solution Comparer (XRMtoolbox) and I checked the solution version differences in Production and Test. There were 8 differences. I created temporary unmanaged packages in production and used Solution Components Mover to copy the contents of the mismatched solutions to the new unmanaged solutions. After that, I created new solutions to Test with the same names and version numbers as was in Prod and moved the new unmanaged solutions to Test and used Solution Components Mover again to put the contents in the right places. In theory, Prod and Test are now identical. I will repeat the same steps on Dev, as soon as the customer has tested that everything works as it should.

I made a manual backup of each environment before I did anything, of course. Hopefully this is fixed now. Thanks for the help!

joe_hannes_col
Super User
Super User

Sounds like a good approach, and thanks a lot for sharing! I'm sure this will be helpful for others in a similar situation.

How did you handle portals, specifically?

It's probably already in your backlog, but I would move away from unmanaged solutions in Test once you have synchronized your Prod and Dev environments.

Have you tested updating a managed solution in Prod with your newly created unmanaged solution from Test?

I did not touch the portals. I'll just leave them be, as they are working. I have not tested updating a managed solution yet, but since the contents of the solution are the same, I don't think it will be an issue. Either A) the updating works as it should, or B) it gives an error (solution has the same name, but different id, etc), at which point I can just remove the solution from PROD and replace it with the solution from Test. That will be a one time problem, so i'm not too worried.

parvezghumra
Super User
Super User

@ilied84 Is the behaviour of the portals application consistent across the 3 environments? You could potentially use the paportal group of commands from the PAC CLI to interrogate the portal configuration data in the 3 environments to verify if they're consistent.

Parvez Ghumra, XRM Solutions UK
Microsoft Power Platform | Dynamics 365 CE/CRM | Azure - Developer | Technical Consultant | Technical Architect
Power Apps Community Super User | Blogger

If this response helped you in any way, please give kudos by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'/'Like' button and/or marking it as an 'Accepted Solution'. This helps others by providing a quick way to identify likely solutions to their issues.

Also, for more useful content, please free to add me as a friend on this forum, follow my blog, follow me on Twitter and connect with me on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!      

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Community Roundup: A Look Back at Our Last 10 Tuesday Tips

As we continue to grow and learn together, it's important to reflect on the valuable insights we've shared. For today's #TuesdayTip, we're excited to take a moment to look back at the last 10 tips we've shared in case you missed any or want to revisit them. Thanks for your incredible support for this series--we're so glad it was able to help so many of you navigate your community experience!   Getting Started in the Community An overview of everything you need to know about navigating the community on one page!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Ranks and YOU Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? We explain everything about ranks and how to achieve points so you can climb up in the rankings! Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Powering Up Your Community Profile Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile. Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Blogs--A Great Place to Start There's so much you'll discover in the Community Blogs, and we hope you'll check them out today!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges Across the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. Check out some details on Community badges--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Blogging in the Community Interested in blogging? Everything you need to know on writing blogs in our four communities! Get started blogging across the Power Platform communities today! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Subscriptions & Notifications We don't want you to miss a thing in the community! Read all about how to subscribe to sections of our forums and how to setup your notifications! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Getting Started with Private Messages & Macros Do you want to enhance your communication in the Community and streamline your interactions? One of the best ways to do this is to ensure you are using Private Messaging--and the ever-handy macros that are available to you as a Community member! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Community User Groups Learn everything about being part of, starting, or leading a User Group in the Power Platform Community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Update Your Community Profile Today! Keep your community profile up to date which is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an integral part of our journey.   Here's to many more Tuesday Tips as we pave the way for a brighter, more connected future! As always, watch the News & Announcements for the next set of tips, coming soon!

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Users online (4,222)